Tuesday 16 November 2021

Version 4.0 release on Itch.io and Game Jolt

 

With this release I implemented a wheel menu, the beginnings of an inventory system and trimmed away some of the fat.​

Implementing a wheel menu was fairly easy to do as I have done one before in other demo projects that will likely never see the light of the internets.

The inventory system really had me work my brain.  I downloaded several demo projects and a few tutorials.  Unfortunately they all used code that looked like Greek to me (obviously done by people that know how to program).  Also none of the inventory systems had the functionality that I was looking for.  I'm sure if I was more versed in code I could modify the demo projects, but at this point I just want something that works. 

I took what I knew how to do and worked around my limitations in programming to make the inventory system that I wanted for this project by using bubblegum and raycast2d.  The current implementation is actually not complete as the prototype I made in a separate file has more functionally than the iteration that I put in this release.  But I felt that it was time for another release just to try and keep myself consistent.  At some point I'm sure I'll improve and be able to make a more optimal inventory system, but for now this will work (I hope/think).

I also decided to remove some of the strafing animations.  This won't really effect anything in game as I reused some of the directions and just played them in reverse.  The result was a pretty big downsizing from the previous release and if I read the console correctly the game will use half a gig less in ram.  There is also the animations for the weapons that can be downsized too.  It would be kind of time consuming and tedious, but I'm really curious to see how much fat I can trim off this project.  Although it's not really a big deal for this prototype if it's optimized or not, I might and well get use to concerning myself with how much memory I'm eating up as I will be implementing more assets in the game I have in mind after this project.


https://arkinum.itch.io/arkinums-project-magi-war


https://gamejolt.com/games/Arkinums_PMW/

No comments:

Post a Comment